Friday, March 26, 2010

Morning Ritual is Back


Something no one told me about adoption that took me a little by surprise was the fog that I entered after bringing Bella home.  It is not too dissimilar from the one I entered when I brought my older three newborns home.  Life was so crazy before Bella came home, from the preparation of paperwork, appts with social workers and doctors, preparation of Bella's room, packing, gathering of humanitarian aid, and preparation for a new member.  Then she is suddenly there (although, it did not feel so sudden.)  Life comes to a stand still in some ways and then picks up speed in others.  One of the things that fell to the wayside is a concrete morning ritual.  I don't think that I exercised or really read a book for 5 months.  For two weeks I have been reestablishing my morning ritual.  I can feel my mind and body reawakening.  Even though I am waking up 45 minutes earlier than I was...I feel more directed, rested, alive, nurtured, patient, and grounded.  Just putting it out there for whoever may be tired and feel like there is just enough time in the day...

This is what my routine looks like:
5:45 get out of bed to do a yoga routine, followed by my coffee in a special mug (see above-enjoying it on so many levels), bible study/daily devotional/prayer, and journal writing.  I usually have time to get  a sandwich or two prepared for lunch and even share a few words over a cup of coffee with  Andrew before he is out the door.  By the time Bella is up, I am ready to be fully present for her.  Okay, maybe not fully present...but I am working on that :)  On the weekends, my peaceful time alone is actually lnger because the teens are in bed until later.

8 comments:

Deena said...

That sounds so nice! I am hoping that after our little girl comes home I switch my morning ritual to something similar to yours and NOT drinking tea while checking out blogs every morning! I love your coffe mugs! Have a great weekend!

QB said...

This sounds so peaceful and lovely that it is ALMOST inspiration enough to get me out of bed before 6. Unfortunately, I think it would take nothing short of a cattleprod for me to get out of bed one second before I hear "mama! dada! morning!" Warm weather may change that, though. I actually like getting up in the summer. My summer morning routine (post baby-wake up) includes walking down the beach (if tide is low enough) or bay to Dunkin' Donuts at A street before 8, if you and Bella ever want to join us. Its a great walk.

coffeemom said...

OK OK OK....I need to do that again. Been trying. SOOO hard and I used to totally be a morning person. Ack.
But you are inspiring me....I"m gonna. NO, really, I mean it.

emily said...

Oh how I long to have a cup of coffee in those pretty mugs with you! I just started getting back into my routine, though not from Eyasu, from ABEY!! :)

Does feel good.

Laura said...

I can totally relate to this post! After our two kiddos came home from Guatemala I think it was at least 5 months till I could come up for air. We just had our first baby girl and she is almost 4 months old and I just have started to get back that morning routine. So hard, and good for you for making it happen. I have enjoyed reading about your journey.

Lori S said...

GREAT advice!!! You may have just inspired me....

Justine said...

Yes, a fog is a good word for it. I felt completely ADD because I could barely focus long enough to make it through the newspaper. Now, life is taking on more normalness. I covet my sleep too much to get up before the rest of the gang but that does sound like a lovely way to begin each day.

I am WAY behind on blogs and enjoyed seeing all the updates on beautiful Bella. She and Meron are so similar. We have to get together sometime soon!

Maribeth said...

Hmmm... that is just the reminder that I needed. After weeks of having no time to myself, I've really been trying to come up with some way to refocus myself and get my head together. I guess it's time to give up the excuses and get it together.