Monday, September 9, 2013

The Start of School



Big transitions at our home.  Andrew went back to college.  Eliza started college.  Zach started high school, Bella is in first grade and Efa started preschool.  I am back in nursing school.  The school year starts with such a force that I have found that the first few weeks everyone is suffering from a little whiplash.  If you do this long enough...you get better at preparing and sometimes even avoid serious injury.





So much to update but today...I am just going to share a story.  Eliza texted the riding coach on Labor Day, while still in bed asking for more info on the riding team (a Div 1 team).  The coach responded...saying tryouts are right now, I will send someone to pick you up in 15 minutes.  Eliza threw on her boots, riding pants, chaps, and a t-shirt, only to find that all the girls were in full show dress.  Her response...Oh well, at least I get to ride a horse today.  She actually was offered a varsity spot.  That's my girl!  Except...I can take no credit.  No credit for the reaching out to the coach.  No credit for not being defeated when everyone else is dressed much more formally.  No credit for being grateful for the opportunity even when it looks like you won't win or succeed.  No credit for being self aware enough to say no thank you to the coveted position when you realize it may take away from your studies and leaving the door open to next year.  I was very different at 18.  I am reminded how much I have to learn from my children.  They are perhaps my greatest teacher.  I am struck by the faith that they were handpicked for me...to teach me so much.  Hopefully, I will be a good student.

1 comment:

Bonnie Nieuwstraten said...

Oh my goodness...I got a big smile when I saw a star by your blog this morning, showing me that there was a new post! :)) Your little ones are cuteness. Can't believe you have 2 in college, 1 in HS and you're in school. You are quite the woman! Hope it's a great fall for all of you!