Friday, December 19, 2008

Messiah and Marshmallows

Week six finished.  Sometimes I wonder if counting makes it go slower.  I continue to count though, to share with our little one later.

Yesterday, in a mini-course at an area church we went over Handel's Messiah.  The music is beautiful, the history intriguing, and the relationship to scripture enlightening.  While, I was going to be crazy busy, I am so glad that I took the two hours to actually enjoy and appreciate the season.  I will not be able to listen to the Messiah without the new found appreciation.

What an incredible week it has been for Gladney families.  So many got through court on Wednesday.  There are a couple who did not, and I feel for them.  I can imagine how such disappointment must draw on their reserves.  

We are preparing for a big winter storm.  School has already been canceled for Andrew and the younger kids have an early release day.  We made marshmallows last night in preparation for hot chocolate today.  It is so easy and so good... so here goes.  

Marshmallows  (Ina Gartner)
3 pkgs gelatin
1 cup water (divided)
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1c light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla
confectioners sugar for dusting

Mix the gelatin and 1/2c cold water in large mixing bowl.  Let sit.  In a small saucepan, mix 1/2c water, sugar, salt, and corn syrup.  Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.  Increase temperature and cook until syrup reaches 240 degrees on candy thermometer.  Remove from heat.  With mixer on low speed add syrup to gelatin mixture until gelatin dissolves.  Increase speed to high and mix for 15 minutes until very thick.  Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Generously dust 8x12 in non-metal baking dish with confectioner's sugar.  Pour mixture over sugar.  Dust top with more confectioner's sugar.  Sit overnight, uncovered, until dried out.  Turn over the next morning and cut into squares.  You can also find fun things to dust with (crushed peppermint, coconut, sprinkles, shaved chocolate, etc).  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sparkz said...

Ah... Handel is my favorite! He put all sorts of fun things in his music to "stir things up a bit" I think my favorite story is about his Farewell Symphony where they wanted a vacation and, to make a story short, each person left as their part dropped off!

I agree. I think counting does make things seem longer. I did it to share with our son some day too. :) I guess each day brings you that much closer! Enjoy the time w/each of your kids while it’s just you guys.

I love the marshmallow recipe! I would have never thought about making them! How neat!

Adoption Cubed said...

You MADE homemade marshmallows?!? Can I come to your house? You would be surprised how often I can imagine comforting smells after reading your posts and your comments! Yum!!

It is tricky wondering about counting the weeks. It seemed to help me because I felt like we were getting closer with each day, plus it was sometimes a nice surprise to look back and see how many days had passed!

Stay warm!!!
Rebecca

Kristi J said...

how fun!! I've never known how to make marshmallows..I'll have to give it a try...I forgot you were with Gladney...I hear great things about them, kristi